NOTE: Membership in SMA is NOT required for you to enter this prestigious contest.
The Society of Midland Authors is now accepting submissions for its annual literary awards, which will honor books by Midwestern authors published in 2018.
Three judges on each committee will select one winner that is best in that category. Category winners receive $500 and a recognition award. Judges may also deem one or two honorees as worthy of recognition. Each honoree will receive a commemorative award. All honors are given out at the awards banquet in May.
A book may be nominated by its author or publisher. Please read the following rules carefully before submitting. (The rules are also on our website.)
- An entry form must accompany each book that goes to each of the three judges in its category. That means a total of three forms per title (three judges, three forms, three books). Books unaccompanied by completed entry forms will not be considered.
- Each book entry must have a 2018 publication date that corresponds with its copyright date. The author must either reside in, be born in, or have strong ties to one of the 12 Midland states SMA represents: Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, Wisconsin.
- Each submission requires an entry fee of $25. To pay by PayPal or credit card, please click here. You may also send a check to Society of Midland Authors, P.O. Box 10419, Chicago, IL 60610. This payment must identify the book title, author and source of check, so SMA knows which author and book entry to confirm as a paid entry. (You can use the “comments” box to write the information for PayPal. Copy the entry form to go with your snailmail check.)
- For now, we do not consider e-book originals unless accompanied by a print edition.
- Books by deceased authors are eligible, providing they meet the other requirements.
- Submissions must be postmarked by Saturday, January 5, 2019. We urge early submissions. Send entries to the appropriate judges listed below. (The list of judges is also on our website.)
- To enter this year’s competition, print out the entry form at this link: http://midlandauthors.com/contest_form.html. Include a completed copy with each nominated book. Mail a copy of the form and the book to each of the three judges in the selected category. Make sure that you enter the book in the proper category. (For example, all children’s books go to children’s categories, rather than Poetry or Biography and Memoir, which are for adult submissions only.) Books submitted to improper categories will be disqualified.
For comments, questions or to confirm an entry has reached the judges, contact Marlene Targ Brill at firstname.lastname@example.org.
JUDGES FOR BOOKS PUBLISHED IN 2018:
- Melinda Braun, 5708 Hawkes Drive, Edina, MN 55436
- Sue Harrison, 23387 South Rocky Point Road, Pickford, MI 49774
- Rick Reeder, 8519 Karlov, Skokie, IL 60076
Richard Frisbie Award for Adult Nonfiction
- Jillian McKeown, Adult Services, Wilmette Public Library, 1242 Wilmette Ave., Wilmette, IL 60091
- Don Rose, 2025 N. Sedgwick, Chicago, IL 60614
- Jim Schwab, 1755 N. Campbell, Chicago, IL 60647
Bernard J. Brommel Award for Biography and Memoir
- Jonathan Eig, 444 W. Oakdale Ave, 2E, Chicago, IL 60657
- Sue William Silverman, 411 Howard Ave., Grand Haven, MI 49417
- Mary Kay Shanley, 1140 Vividell Lane, West Des Moines, IA 50266
- Lisa Coutley, 6014 Franklin St., Omaha, NE 68104
- Joseph G. Peterson, 5429 East View Park, Apt. 2, Chicago, IL 60615
- Leland James Whipple, 5776 Cottage Drive, Bellaire, MI 49615
- Pat Kummer, 2671 Normandy Place, Lisle, IL 60532-1081
- Janet Riehecky, 657 Shenandoah Trail, Elgin, IL 60123
- Carol Saller, until December 31, c/o University of Chicago Press, 1427 E 60th St., Chicago IL 60637; after December 31, 1469 E Park Pl., Chicago 60637
- Debbi Chocolate, 1431 Haverhill Drive, Wheaton, Illinois 60189
- Shari Frost, 8748D Kedvale Ave, Skokie IL 60076
- Brian E. Wilson, 1440 West Argyle St., Apt. 1, Chicago, IL 60640
We look forward to your submissions. Thank you and good luck