The Society of Midland Authors is accepting submissions for its annual literary awards, which will honor books by Midwestern authors published in 2015.
Each winner will receive $500 and a recognition award. The judges in each category may also deem one or two finalists as worthy of recognition, and each finalist will receive a commemorative award. These honors will be given out at the awards banquet the second Tuesday in May.
A book may be nominated by its author or publisher. Authors do not need to be members of the Society of Midland Authors in order to enter the contest. Please read the following rules carefully before submitting:
- An entry form must accompany each book. One copy of the book and one entry form go to each of the three judges in its category. That means a total of three forms per title (three judges, three forms, three books). Books unaccompanied by completed entry forms will not be considered.
- Each book entry must have a 2015 publication date with corresponding copyright date. The author must either reside in, be born in, or have strong ties to one of the 12 Midland states SMA represents: Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, Wisconsin.
- Each submission requires an entry fee of $10. To pay by PayPal or credit card, please click here. You may also pay by mailing a check to Society of Midland Authors, P.O. Box 10419, Chicago, IL 60610. This payment must identify the book title, author and source of check, so SMA knows which author and book entry to confirm as a paid entry. (You may use the â€œcommentsâ€ box to write the information for PayPal. Copy the entry form to go with your snail mail check.)
- For now, we do not consider e-book originals unless accompanied by a print edition.
- Books by deceased authors are eligible, providing they meet the other requirements.
- Submissions must be postmarked by January 9, 2016. We urge early submissions. Send entries to the appropriate judges.
- To enter this yearâ€™s competition, print out the entry form at this link: http://midlandauthors.com/contest_form.html. Include a completed copy with each nominated book. Mail a copy of the form and the book to each of the three judges in the selected category. Do not mail the book to the Societyâ€™s P.O. box. Make sure that you enter the book in the proper category. (For example, all childrenâ€™s books go to childrenâ€™s categories, rather than Poetry or Biography and Memoir, which are for adult submissions only.) Books submitted to improper categories will be disqualified.
- If youâ€™d like to confirm that your entry reached the judges, please send a self-addressed stamped postcard with each book submission. Or you can contact Marlene Targ Brill, email@example.com, who will verify whether your entry arrived.
JUDGES FOR BOOKS PUBLISHED IN 2015:
- Mark Eleveld, 305 Brooks Ave., Joliet, IL 60435
- Tony Romano, 23W279 Saint James Court, Glen Ellyn IL 60137
- Michele Weldon, 1419 Lathrop Ave., River Forest, IL 60305
- Connie Fletcher, 521 Tenth St., Wilmette, IL 60091
- Kim Hiltwein c/o Evanston Public Library, 1703 Orrington Ave., Evanston, IL 60201
- Eckhard Gerdes, 1110 Varsity Blvd., Apt, 221, DeKalb, IL 60115
Biography and Memoir
- Davis Schneiderman, Associate Dean of the Faculty, Center for Chicago Programs, Lake Forest College, 555 North Sheridan Road, Lake Forest, IL 60045
- Robert Remer, 5840 N. Kenmore, Chicago, IL 60660
- John Hallwas, 404 S. Edwards St., Macomb, IL 61455
- Nancy Crocker, 2432 W. 24th St., Minneapolis, MN 55405
- Barbara A. Binns, Box 1583, Arlington Heights, IL 60006
- Judith Fradin, 2121 Dobson St., Evanston, IL 60202
- Margaret McMullan, 541 East Scenic Drive, Pass Christian, MS 39571
- Ilene Cooper, 798 Judson, Highland Park, IL 60035
- Andrea Warren, 4908 W. 71st St., Prairie Village, KS 66208
- Jim McGarrah, 120 North Bellaire Avenue #1, Louisville, KY 40206
- Grace Bauer, English Department, Andrews Hall, University of Nebraska, Lincoln, NE 68588-0333
- Joshua Corey, Dept. of English, Lake Forest College, 555 North Sheridan Road, Lake Forest, IL 60045
We look forward to your submissions. Thank you and good luck.